Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Classmate Portrait - Alex Grigsby

Alex Grisby, 28, a senior convergence journalism major at the University of Missouri, is in his last semester. He hopes to take pictures for a living after college, and he is presently working to establish a photo business. When asked what his friends would say about him Alex commented, “They would probably say that I am crazy and ready to do anything that gets a laugh or the adrenaline pumping. I love to laugh and have a good time. I strive for a surplus of laughter in my life.”

Critique

For my final select, I used only one light with a softbox. It is to the camera’s right hand side at 45 degrees. I also used a tan reflector on the left side of the camera at 45 degrees from the subject. I had 800 mw of power. I believe I had a 2:1 ratio. I shot an exposure at F18 at 1/125 shutter speed, with my ISO at 200. I used a 46 mm focal length for my lens. I decided to use a softbox because I felt that it created a softer look for the hair and skin. The specular light was a little too harsh, and the diffuse light added to the more playful look of the shot.

I learned a lot from the project and I am interested in learning more about portraits and perfecting my technique. I think the more you work at something, the better you become.

No comments: